To transform the world for the better through engineering intelligence.
To provide technology, engineering and consulting expertise to maximise building energy and carbon performance for planet, people and profit.
Purpose of Role
To be building relationships and identify opportunities to help ETS brand and profit to grow. This role is heavily focused on developing and maintaining relationships, your work will be to oversee all the operational and commercial business development activities of ETS.
Energy & Technical Services Ltd. (ETS), an award-winning, data led, energy management and technical engineering consultancy, is seeking to employ a Business Development Specialist with a background in energy efficiency/engineering services/the built environment/sustainability Net Zero to join our well-established team supporting our Head Office in Bristol, but also serving our Dublin, and Wakefield offices.
Established for 22 years, ETS covers a wide range of energy and technical management services, sustainability and Net Zero advice delivering real cost and carbon reduction benefit across all buildings and sectors.
The Senior Business Development Manager responsibilities will be to identify new business opportunities in order to generate revenue, improve profitability and help the business grow. You will have experience of selling into the built environment markets including commercial real estate and retail. You will have knowledge of energy management practices, principles, methodologies, be aware of clients’ Net Zero obligations plus all aspects of building services.
The key responsibilities for this role include:
- Pro-actively identify, prospect and convert new business opportunities.
- Develop and manage all aspects of the relationship with a portfolio of new and existing clients.
- Develop a detailed understanding of the business objectives of ETS’ client portfolio.
- Build influential relationships with key decision makers and stakeholders.
- Make key decisions with the Business Management Team, researching and analysing industry, market, and competitors to make informed strategy decisions.
- Create initiatives to take advantage of market opportunities, reduce operational threats, forestall business risks, and maximise core strengths.
- Report directly to, and liaises with, the Business Management Team to make sure all efforts are in alignment.
- Managing marketing internally and with external partners to ensure ETS are seen as thought leaders in our field.
- To develop a sustainability/ Net Zero and Carbon saving offering that adds value to existing ETS service lines, protects business values plus enhances ETS market share.
- Research, compile and maintain lists of prospective clients through our marketing campaigns, to identify, generate and follow up leads
- Document, track and monitor all leads and activities generated by Marketing onto the internal system plus administration and management of the internal CRM system and managing the agreed areas of the sales process and customer journey.
- Represent the Company at seminars, exhibitions and trade fairs as required.
- Work with Consulting Engineers to manage projects, especially in the early project stages, to ensure delivery matches client expectations.
- Work with the Business Management Team on proposals and tendering opportunities – coordinate and collaborate responses.
From time to time the job holder may be required to undertake additional responsibilities commensurate with their role and capabilities, that are not specifically referenced above.
The following attributes are essential:
- 5+ years’ experience in a similar role.
- Sound understanding of energy management practices, principles, and methodologies.
- Understanding of sales pipelines and the sales lifecycle. The ability to start relationships, nurture leads, negotiate, deliver exceptional customer service and close sales.
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills, the ability to present information in a clear manner appropriate to the audience and deliver presentations to large audiences.
- Fit with ETS values (ambitious, determined, expert, trustworthy).
- Excellent influencing skills and an ability to foster and maintain successful working relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- The ability to work unsupervised, organise own workload, meet deadlines and take the initiative whilst working as part of a close-knit team in a multi-project environment.
- Attention to detail and high level of numeracy, with solid analytical/statistical skills.
- Ability to create clear, concise, and meaningful proposals.
- Highly effective project-scoping.
- Excellent knowledge of building services and energy systems.
- Resilient, dynamic, energetic, and enthusiastic. Must be highly driven and enjoy working with people.
- Passion for the development and education of engineering intelligence.
- Ability and willingness to undertake frequent travel within the UK and overseas for the role.
The following attributes are desirable:
- Qualified BD professional and/or Chartered.
- Knowledge or experience of industry schemes such as ESOS/EAS, BREEAM, GRESB, SECR.
- Membership of an appropriate industry body e.g. Energy Institute.
- Understanding of building controls/ internet of things/BMS.
- Skills in consultative sales, professional networking or thought leadership.
Hours and Location
Location: Open / within easy commuting to London is preferable
Job type: Permanent
Working hours: 40 hours per week, to be worked Monday – Friday.
- Competitive salary of £45 – £50k
- Company Profit Share Scheme
- Loyalty bonus scheme
- Private pension
- Private Medical Insurance including EAP
- Company car
- Flexible working
- 25 Days Holiday per year, plus public holidays
Energy and Technical Services Ltd are committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individual, regardless of their background.