Job Title: Energy & Technical Manager
Team / Department: Energy & Technical (ECST & TST) teams
Line Manager: Technical Director
A sustainable world with less carbon – that’s our commitment.
Energy and Technical Services Ltd (ETS) is an award-winning, data-led, energy management and technical engineering consultancy. Established for 25 years, ETS covers a wide range of energy and technical management services, sustainability and Net Zero advice delivering real cost and carbon reduction benefits across all buildings and sectors.
Purpose of Role
The purpose of the Energy and Technical Manager role is to lead the Energy & Technical Team, consisting of energy and engineering professionals. The primary focus is overseeing day-to-day operations, collaborating with other departments, and directly interacting with clients in the UK, Ireland, and Europe to identify energy and carbon savings opportunities, as well as the adoption of new technologies. Additionally, the Energy and Technical Manager plays a significant role in the team’s development and works to promote the ETS brand as a provider of top-notch services.
Key Account Management is a central aspect of the role, where the candidate will lead designated accounts, maintain client relationships, ensure service quality, and explore further business expansion opportunities.
The key responsibilities for this role include:
- Manage the Energy & Technical (ECST & TST) teams.
- Lead the Energy & Technical Team members in regulatory compliance (ESOS/SECR/Heat Network Regs/ISO 50001).
Client Relationship and Value Addition:
- Act as a key account manager for major ETS clients.
- Support ETS clients in setting and achieving energy and carbon reduction targets.
- Identify and implement energy efficiency programs, including technical and financial concepts.
- Proactively identify energy and carbon-saving opportunities (e.g., CHP, ASHP, biomass, etc.) for clients to add value and revenue to ETS.
Technical Expertise and Project Management:
- Collaborate with ETS colleagues to identify and implement new technologies for clients.
- Responsible for delivering assigned energy programs on time and within budget, involving detailed energy and site data analysis.
- Identify, illustrate through financial cases, and implement capital and operational energy reduction opportunities, projects, and programs.
Training and Development:
- Assist the Technical Director in developing and implementing training programs for colleagues and clients.
From time to time, the job holder may be required to undertake additional responsibilities commensurate with their role and capabilities that are not specifically referenced above.
The successful candidate will have experience and knowledge of energy and carbon management practices, ideally in both the commercial and retail sectors. You will actively be looking for ways in which we can improve the customer experience, fight against climate change and thrive on building good working relationships with internal and external clients.
Your normal place of work will be from home through our hybrid working arrangements; however, you will be expected to visit the office for team meetings/direction, training days and other times deemed suitable at the ETS.
The following attributes are essential:
- 5+ years’ technical experience in a similar role, including Line Management experience, with a proven track record in ‘people’ and ‘operational delivery’ management.
- Sound understanding of energy/carbon management practices, principles, and methodologies.
- Key account management experience.
- Strong focus on quality and delivering exceptional customer service.
- Ability to communicate professionally, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to create clear, concise, and meaningful reports.
- Fit with ETS values (expert, teamwork, client-oriented, ethical behaviour, delivering promised results).
- High level of numeracy, with solid analytical and statistical skills.
- Attention to detail and high levels of accuracy.
- Highly effective project-scoping and project-management skills.
- Ability to work as part of a close-knit team in a multi-project environment.
- Self-motivated and enthusiastic.
- Excellent computer skills.
- Agile, adaptable and high levels of emotional intelligence.
- Expert knowledge and experience in designing and implementing Net Zero strategies.
- Energy auditing and opportunity identification, completing professional energy audit reports and presentations for clients.
- ESOS and ISO 50001 Lead Assessor accredited.
- Knowledge or experience of industry schemes such as BREEAM, GRESB, SECR, Heat Networks Regulations.
- Membership of an appropriate industry body e.g. Energy Institute, EMA.
- Understanding of building controls/internet of things / BMS.
- Experience with relevant 3rd party software to identify energy savings and optimise energy asset performance, e.g. RDM, Innotech, DEXMA Analyse.
- Experience of Cloud-based energy management software applications.
- Start Date: Immediate
- Location: Home / Bristol
- Job type: Permanent
- Working pattern: Full-time
- Working hours: 40 hours per week, to be worked Monday – Friday
- Annual salary between £55,000 – £60,000, depending on experience.
- Company car allowance (£6,000 per annum).
- 25 days holiday + bank holiday per annum.
- Learning and development plan with a clear career path.
- Day Off on your Birthday.
- Private medical insurance.
- Compassionate Leave – up to 5 days paid time off.
- Employer pension contribution of 4.5% to help you save for the future.
- Employee Assistance Programme (EAP).
- Company Profit Share Scheme.
- Loyalty Bonus Scheme.
- Employee Referral Scheme.
- Discount scheme – offering hundreds of discounts and providing the education, support and tools to look after your mental and physical health.
- Enhanced organisation sick pay scheme.
- Paid eye test and £40 towards your DSE glasses/lenses.
- Flexible working arrangements.
Energy and Technical Services Ltd are committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore are committed to equality of opportunity and welcomes applications from all individuals
regardless of their background. Research shows that some people are less likely to apply for a role unless they are 100% qualified. Your experience, skills and passion will set you apart, so tell us about your achievements. So, if this role excites you, don’t let our role description hold you back, apply now!